All prep and no play makes Dave a dull boy, this is not a prep article really, but every once in a while I like a neat new recipe.
If I ever have to live off of my stored food without the ability to augment with a whopper or stuffed crust pizza I am going to want several extra options of cooking beans, rice, and potatoes so I don’t get “food boredom”
This recipe for Bacon wrapped twice baked potatoes is normally made for company, its really easy, pretty cheap, and tastes awesome. Unfortunately, I normally make an entire tray full at a time because at my house we don’t leave the range with a half shot box of ammo, nor do we only cook a half package of bacon. Since it tastes so good, and I make so much of it when I do make it, I reserve it for times when I have a lot of folks to eat it.
- Anything else you put in mashed taters – sour cream, mayo, salt whatever…
- Round toothpicks soaked in water for at least and hour
- Preheat oven to 375
- Wash and peel half as many medium to large potatoes as you have bacon slices.
- Cut a slice off of the top and bottom of each potato so that it can stand up. Reserve ends for mashed potatoes.
- Cut each potato in half.
- Wrap each potato half in bacon – use wet toothpicks to hold bacon to potato. (Using 4 toothpicks per potato holds the bacon really well).
- Lightly oil cookie sheet and place small end of potato down (this makes it easier to scoop later).
- Bake 30-45 minutes or until tender.
- While baking wrapped potatoes, boil potato ends until soft.
- Open oven and remove tray.
- Gently scoop potato centers out to make a bowl.
- Mix baked centers with boiled potato ends and make mashed potatoes. I like to add some cheese to the mix, but however you make mashed potatoes is fine.
- Scoop (or pipe if you’re a gourmand) mix into potato bowl.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Place back in oven and bake 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted to desired doneness.
- Remove, let cool, and remove toothpicks gently.
Tip – Bacon Wrapped twice baked potatoes are done when the bacon is crispy.